Photo by Adam Ruff/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Still lots of meaningful football being played in the college ranks
Although the last regular season game of the year is still days away for the professional team in Detroit, there is a lot of football to be watched right now. Of course we are talking about the college bowl schedule, and many potential future Lions are taking part in postseason action on Friday and Saturday.
Erik Schlitt at Lions Wire provides ten names to watch during the five bowl games on Friday. As any Lions fan might expect, it is loaded in the trenches (EDGE, DL, OL). Also appearing on the list is a potential Name Bracket powerhouse from Oklahoma State. As a reminder, here are the Friday Bowl games:
For the rest of the bowls heading into next week, Ben Raven at mlive.com has a rundown on draft prospects for Lions fans to watch in the upcoming major bowl games starting tomorrow with the Cotton Bowl . There is a good mix of positions on Raven’s list, with a ton of the elite wide receiver prospects getting attention. Staying with a local focus, The Athletic’s Austin Meek had a Q&A with draft analyst Dane Brugler about Michigan prospects (subscription required) who might impress in the Citrus Bowl on New Year’s Day.
The Ringer’s Danny Kelly takes a broader look at the six New Year’s Day Bowls , highlighting the NFL prospects in those games that fans are most likely to hear about in draft chatter for the next few months.
And now on to the rest of today’s Notes:
- The final installment of Xs and Os with Dan Orlovsky for the 2019 regular season:
- Word of the free truck offer got to quarterback David Blough. The Detroit News’ Justin Rogers writes that the magic man is not changing how he prepares for Sunday against Green Bay.
- Dave Birkett from the Detroit Free Press wants to know how Lions fans would feel if the team rolled with Bo Scarbrough and Kerryon Johnson leading the running back position in 2020 .
- Anthony Pittman was signed from the practice squad to take the spot opened up when the team put Jahlani Tavai on injured reserve earlier this week . An interesting side note:
— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) December 27, 2019
- This looks like a pretty cool article (subscription required) about something the fans probably never think about:
Room on Eddie Murray’s pant leg to adjust his knee brace. Extra space in Matthew Stafford’s sleeve. A jersey pocket for the NFL’s GPS devices.
“I’ve done little tasks like that throughout all the year.”
A visit with the Lions’ long-time seamstress:https://t.co/wl5BKkLQxj
— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) December 27, 2019