Photo by Elsa/Getty Images
People are already starting to take notice of the Lions’ improved secondary.
An undefeated team is naturally going to draw a lot of national attention, especially when they’re about to go up against one of the best teams in the NFL. This is apparently still true for the Detroit Lions , a team that notoriously is out of the national conversation more often than not.
This week has been a banner week for coverage of the Lions’ secondary. On Tuesday, we noted how SportSource Analytics had a stat that suggested no one was better at covering opponent receivers through three weeks than the Lions. Wednesday, Football Outsiders used metrics to show just how improved the Lions cornerbacks are this year as compared to last year’s crew.
Thursday, Football Outsiders was back at it again , this time using tape to show just how good the Lions’ coverage is right now.
“Compared to last year’s joke of a unit, though, this new and improved pass defense is a godsend,” Football Outsiders’ Derrik Klassen wrote. “Detroit’s pass defense is now a central part of why they are competitive rather than their Achilles heel.
You should definitely check out the entire piece here , which includes a couple interesting plays in which a chip from the Lions’ defensive front helped a ton in pass coverage.
- Keeping with the theme of national praise, MMQB’s Andy Benoit is a big fan of Justin Coleman :
Justin Coleman has been the best slot CB in football these first three weeks. Thriving in man-to-man.
— Andy Benoit (@Andy_Benoit) September 26, 2019
- More national coverage: Former Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky was on ESPN’s “NFL Live” explaining how Matthew Stafford is helping propel this team to contender again:
The @lions are undefeated headed into a big game vs the Chiefs & a big reason is the play of their QB. I also love the little things they’re doing scheme wise for their players to “help” them..also, the OG arm angle is BACK! @prideofdetroit @mikeoharanfl @ninja @espnnfllive pic.twitter.com/49PW9RgtS9
— Dan Orlovsky (@danorlovsky7) September 26, 2019
- As you may or may not have know, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes was drafted by the Detroit Tigers. The Detroit News talked to the scout that tried to bring him to the Tigers .
— Detroit Lions (@Lions) September 26, 2019
The @Lions invited me to have lunch with Mrs. Ford at their facility today. I had a great time and it’s footage will be on the video boards before the game this Sunday. Please come early at @fordfield to see it before we take on the Chiefs!! A big thank you for these gifts pic.twitter.com/WFghjNXSki
— Sweta Patel (@sweta2311) September 25, 2019
- Lions Wire’s Jeff Risdon looks at how well the Lions have pass protected this year and points out the records Detroit could set if they go three straight weeks without a sack allowed.
- No one at PFF is picking the Lions this week over the Chiefs. Let’s see how that went for them last week: