Addressing the QB change and more after the win.
- Harbaugh said Cade McNamara was “outstanding” and had a “gritty performance in all ways. “His play was inspiring. Can’t say enough great things.” Says the entire team was the same way. Hassan Haskins was also singled out and had a “tremendous” game. Likes how the offensive line played and said freshmen Zach Carpenter , Zak Zinter and Karsen Barnhart “played their hearts out.”
- “Nobody won or lost the job in practice during the week. Went into it with the thought that we would play both quarterbacks in the game. Cade came in and gave us a spark and played lights out from there.”
- Called this one of the best comeback wins he has been a part of and cited a number of players performing in a character-type win. “They really found themselves tonight.”
- No updates on linebacker Cam McGrone after being injured. He will need an MRI.
- Said the kick return was a huge start to the second half and helped Michigan get the momentum back. “Both teams played with a ton of heart.”
- Harbaugh said he loves to see players play within their personality. Called it a gritty performance and for McNamara a great game.
- Harbaugh says he loves coaching the team and it was good to see them “let it rip” and seeing the talent come out. “It was all great. Maybe they know now what they didn’t know. They’re good at football. They’ve been good at football for a long time.”
- Said that guys were competing throughout the whole night and that they will do that whether it takes 60 minutes or more than that. “It was very inspiring the way our players played. I thought our coaches coached their hearts out as well.”
- Harbaugh liked how the depth on defense rotated in and out and singled-out linebacker Adam Shibley and safety Hunter Reynolds as guys that stood out.
- On Rutgers’ last drive and long conversions, Harbaugh said they simply converted. Mixed in different calls in overtime to slow down the Scarlet Knights. “Adjustments were being made all night.”
- Said McNamara was well-prepared and has been seeing things very well. Called Saturday’s performance a testament to his ability. “It’s nice to know about yourself that you’re a quarterback that can lead comebacks.”
- “Game could have gone either way. Both teams played their hearts out. Happy to see our guys making the plays and having fun…it’s been gut-wrenching to not see our guys having fun. Tonight they did and it will be a happy flight home. I would have been proud of them either way. I usually always am. Win, lose or draw, I’m happy with our guys.”
- Harbaugh said that they will evaluate the QB position moving forward.
- Rutgers has done a “great job” and thought their playcalling was creative and they are a good fundamental team in all areas.
- Harbaugh said conversation between Joe Milton and him was that McNamara was going to come in and get some work and to stay ready. Said reactions were “ok.”
Next up for Michigan is a game against 0-5 Penn State next weekend in Ann Arbor.