Matthew Stafford is a great husband.
On Wednesday night, Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford gave a small, but promising update on the status of his wife Kelly. Now a couple of weeks removed from brain surgery, Kelly is “right where the doctors want her to be,” Stafford said on his radio spot with WJR-760 .
In turn, Kelly offered a heartfelt Instagram post about how Matthew helped her throughout the difficult months dealing with her brain tumor and subsequent surgery.
View this post on Instagram
If I look extremely exhausted, it’s because I was. I barely slept the night before. This picture was taken right after the surgeon came and marked “yes” on the the right side of my head, behind my ear, to know what side he would be cutting open. That’s when it became real. That’s when it became so scary I began to tear up and shake a little. Then I looked at Matthew. He had been my rock through this entire thing and he was so calm.. and it calmed me. The night before, I wrote him and all three of my girls letters, just letting them know how much I love them. I gave them to my mom to give to him after I went into surgery. Maybe a little overkill, but hell, it was brain surgery and it was completely terrifying.. so I didn’t want to take any chances. But here I am. Healthy and alive and beyond grateful for every day.. Enjoying my husband and family and getting used to my new norms. I realized I really don’t like riding in cars, especially in the back seat.. a perfect excuse to always have shotgun. I don’t love loud, busy restaurants as much as I used to and I also struggle in areas with a lot of moving people (malls, airports, etc). I will wear heels, but with caution for me and everyone around me. I have become used to telling people I’m slightly “hard of hearing” and I’ll give you a hug, but be aware I might take you down with me if you’re not completely still while doing so. I realized dancing with my girls (shaking my booty and all) might take a few more months and I’m sure everyone is ok with that, Matthew included And although not expected, but pleasantly surprising, I still love my head rubbed/massaged. And this man does it every. Single. Night. Thank you Matthew. Thank you for taking care of me and our family and always putting us first. Thank you for always being my rock and keeping me at ease during the toughest time of my life. Im lucky to know you and the man you are.. but mostly, I’m lucky you chose me to do life with. Thank you. #tbt ♀️ #braintumorawarenessmonth #anwarrior #StaffordStrong
“He had been my rock through this entire thing and he was so calm.. and it calmed me,” Kelly wrote.
Though Kelly is still suffering from some bouts of vertigo and has issues with hearing, Matthew has been there giving her just the assistance she needs.
“Thank you Matthew. Thank you for taking care of me and our family and always putting us first. Thank you for always being my rock and keeping me at ease during the toughest time of my life. Im lucky to know you and the man you are.. but mostly, I’m lucky you chose me to do life with. Thank you.”
… all while managing to attend the Lions’ voluntary workouts.
- Chris Burke of The Athletic (subscription required) has seven Lions contracts to keep an eye on before the start of the regular season .
- We don’t know if Tyrell Crosby will play a role on the Lions’ offense in 2019, but there’s a small chance he could help the Pistons’ offense out next year:
— Tyrell Crosby (@Tyrellcrosby) May 16, 2019
- SB Nation’s Christian D’Andrea believes signing C.J. Anderson was the Lions’ most under-the-radar move this offseason .
- The Lions only have six starters that had a PFF grade over 80 last season… but look at that defensive line:
Projected starters in Detroit with 80.0+ PFF grades last year pic.twitter.com/49KQL9zlJY
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) May 16, 2019
- This offseason, Taylor Decker had such a bad allergic reaction to a new tattoo that his hand looked like “raw hamburger meat.”
- More speculation that the Lions could potentially lose director of player personnel Lance Newmark to the Jets ’ vacant general manager position:
Some names to keep an eye on during Jets GM search:
1) Joe Douglas (Eagles VP of Player Personnel)
2) Lance Newmark (Lions Director of Player Personnel)
3) Adam Peters (49ers VP of Player Personnel)
4) Champ Kelly (Bears assistant director of Player Personnel)
— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) May 16, 2019