The Lions defensive interior looks pretty good right now.
Pro Football Focus put out a list of the highest graded player for every NFL team through nine weeks of the season . If you somehow didnâ€™t read the headline of this article before clicking on it, the answer may surprise you. Itâ€™s not Kenny Golladay . Itâ€™s not Daâ€™Shawn Hand or Darius Slay or Kerryon Johnson .
According to PFF, the highest-graded Lions players is… Aâ€™Shawn Robinson. Hereâ€™s what PFFâ€™s Michael Renner had to say about it:
â€œIt took a while, but the former second-round pick has developed into a force against the run on the interior of the Lionsâ€™ defense. His 11.4 run-stop percentage is eighth-best among interior defenders.â€�
Now there is a bit of a caveat here. Robinsonâ€™s grade of 90.1 isnâ€™t technically the highest on the roster. Those honors belong to Damon Harrison Sr. , who currently has a PFF grade of 91.5 , but obviously that comes with an asterisk since most of his playing time was with the Giants this year.
Regardless, having both Robinson and â€œSnacksâ€� in the interior of the line offers some hope for the Lionsâ€™ defensive line for the next few years.
- Kenny Golladay came out of the 2018 offseason swinging. In the first two weeks of the season, he pulled in 13 catches for 203 yards and a touchdown. However, over the following six games, Golladay has just 20 catches for 220 yards and two touchdowns.
Golladay said he would like to see the ball more, but knows itâ€™s on him to create his own opportunities and be ready when they come.
- Matthew Stafford hadnâ€™t heard the misinformed comments from former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon , and didnâ€™t have much of a response to them on Thursday:
Matthew Stafford on Rich Gannon’s criticisms of him: “I don’t need to answer to Rich Gannon.”
â€” Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) November 8, 2018
- Speaking of Stafford , he hasnâ€™t thrown a lot of deep balls this year, but heâ€™s completing them at a pretty decent rate:
Relevant quarterbacks and their deep ball (15+ air yard) rates. This is updated through last night’s game. All of the numbers in this thread should be. pic.twitter.com/QA3zRSHM49
â€” JJ Zachariason (@LateRoundQB) November 9, 2018
- The Lionsâ€™ 2015 draft class is almost completely depleted after only three years.
- Thursday we noted that Lions legend Wally Triplett passed away this week. Friday, the Lions posted some amazing throwback highlights from his career with Detroit in 1949-50.
Wally Triplett highlights â¬‡ï¸� pic.twitter.com/xGche0GZng
â€” Detroit Lions (@Lions) November 9, 2018
- On a positive note, Jeff Risdon of Lions Wire handed out grades for the Lionsâ€™ rookie class through Week 9 , and the outlook is pretty positive. (Warning: slideshow)